African Journal of
Agricultural Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Agric. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1991-637X
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJAR
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 6691

Full Length Research Paper

Grain yield and associated traits of maize (Zea mays L.) genotypes in Malaysian tropical environment

Faruq Golam1*, Nurul Farhana1, Mohamad Firdaus Zain1, Nazia Abdul Majid1, M.M Rahman1, M. Motior Rahman1 and Mihdzar Abdul Kadir2
  1Genetics and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Malaya, Malaysia. 2Department of Agro Technology, Faculty of Science, University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia.
Email: [email protected]

  •  Accepted: 31 October 2011
  •  Published: 26 November 2011

Abstract

 

Twenty two tropical composite maize (Zea mays L.) genotypes from International maize and Wheat Improvement centre (CIMMYT) were grown in randomized complete block design with two replicates to assess the correlation between yield and other traits such as 50% silking (female flowering date), 50% tasseling date (male flowering date, Ear/plant, thousand grain weight, plant height and ear height in the tropical environment of Malaysia. Grain yield correlated highest between field weight (rA = 0.59), followed by ear height (rA = 0.50) and plant height (rA = 0.49). Positive correlations was not found between grain yield and days to 50% silking (rA = 0.17), days to 50% tasseling (rA = 0.19), ear/plant (rA = 0.26) and thousand grain weight (rA = 0.10). Negative correlation was observed between maturation date (rA = -0.025) and grain filling period (rA = -0.198). Higher values of two traits like plant height (R= 0.24) and ear height (R= 0.25) showed appreciably higher tend to grain yield. From linear models, days to 50% tasseling (R= 0.04) and days to 50% silking (R2 = 0.04) accounted for only 4% of the total variation in grain yield (R= 0.04) while the other traits accounted for as much as 96%. No linear regression found between grain yield and maturation date (R= 0.00). But there were linear regressions between grain yield and ear / plant (R= 0.056), field weight (R= 0.361) and 1000 grain weight (R= 0.02) in proportion of 5.6, 36.1 and 2% of grain yield respectively. Negative linear regression was observed between grain yield and grain filling period ((R2=0.036). Field weight, ear height, and plant height and shell percentage have the highest correlation with grain yield that were  determine by the yield of twenty two tropical composite maize (Z. mays L.). The present findings might be useful to the breeders to select the potential parental materials for maize improvement program in tropical Malaysia.

 

Key words: Maize, grain yield, tropical environment.