African Journal of
Agricultural Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Agric. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1991-637X
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJAR
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 6858

Article in Press

Economic contribution of honey production as a means of livelihood strategy for Tolay women beekeepers in Oromia region, Ethiopia

Lulseged Belayhun, Tadele Tefera, Lidiya Tafesse, Everlyn Nguku, Ballo Shifa

  •  Received: 09 September 2022
  •  Accepted: 14 June 2024
The use of modern beekeeping technology for women beekeepers in Tolay is the means of wealth creation andeconomic contribution to impactthe livelihood of the targetpeople. This study was conducted for 10 cooperatives and interviewed 192 women beekeepers. Purposive random sampling method was used to collect the data for this study and the Data were analyzed using descriptive statistical tools such asmean,minimum,maximumstandarderrorfrequency and percentage were generated. The result reviled 72.4% of the respondent are using modern hives and the rest 27.6 % of the respondent are using both traditional and modern hives. The analyzed result indicated that the mean income of the household with the improved beekeeping was significantly higher (Birr 4983 or $ 245.46) (547%) than the mean income of house hold using traditional beekeeping (Birr770 or $37.93).Reflecting the relatively better quality, the average price for honey produced from modern beehives was more than double (Birr 103.44 per kg or $5.10) of the honey produced through traditional hives (Birr 41.73 per kg or $2.05). the honey producers are highly encouraged to get this business.

Keywords: Economic contribution, honey production, income improvement, livelihood strategy