African Journal of
Microbiology Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Microbiol. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1996-0808
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJMR
  • Start Year: 2007
  • Published Articles: 5182

Full Length Research Paper

Co-existence of multiple B-lactamase traits among clinical isolates of Escherichia coli from rural part of Maharashtra, India

Archana A. Kharat
  • Archana A. Kharat
  • Department of Microbiology, DBF Dayanand College of Arts and Science, Solapur, MS, India.
  • Google Scholar
Kiran R. Kharat
  • Kiran R. Kharat
  • Department of Biotechnology, Deogiri College, Aurangabad, MS, India.
  • Google Scholar
Swati G. Chaudhari
  • Swati G. Chaudhari
  • Department of Biotechnology, Deogiri College, Aurangabad, MS, India.
  • Google Scholar
Dilip G. Kadam
  • Dilip G. Kadam
  • Department of Microbiology, DBF Dayanand College of Arts and Science, Solapur, MS, India.
  • Google Scholar
Arun S. Kharat*
  • Arun S. Kharat*
  • Department of Biotechnology, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Subcampus Osmanabad, MS, India.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Received: 18 November 2016
  •  Accepted: 07 February 2017
  •  Published: 21 February 2017

Abstract

Acquisition of multidrug resistance and the spread of MDR among pathogenic microorganisms is a growing concern to world. Extended-spectrum -lactamases (ESBLs) strains of the Enterobacteriaceae; ESBL trait expressing Escherichia coli poses major threat and ESBL E. coli infections are increasingly reported from hospital settings as well as community settings with rising mortality and morbidity rates. The objective of this study was to study distribution of various types of -lactamases expressed within the clinical isolates of E. coli. In this work, clinical specimens: urine, stool, sputum, pus were collected over a period of three months from patients from rural area of Maharashatra State, India. Out of number of isolates, only thirty-six E. coli isolates were chosen for determining existence of ESBL, MBL, AmpC and Carbapenamase producing ability. Choice of isolates included resistance to at least of the three third generation cephalosprins used in this study.  About 75% of E. coli strains were found to express ESBL trait, while remaining 25% expressed non-ESBL trait.  About 28% isolates produced AmpC phenotype. Seven of 36 isolates (18%) indicated co-existence of ESBL and AmpC, while strain AKA43 was found to contain MBL and AmpC traits together.  The prevalence of ESBL, MBL, AmpC and carbapenemase producing E. coli was studied.  A few of these isolates were found to harbor more than one type of -lactamases.

Key words: Extended spectrum ß-lactamases (ESBLs), ampCß-lactamases, metallo-ß-lactamases (MBLs), antibiotic resistance.