International Journal of
Medicine and Medical Sciences

  • Abbreviation: Int. J. Med. Med. Sci.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2006-9723
  • DOI: 10.5897/IJMMS
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 531

Full Length Research Paper

Symptomatic outcome following laparoscopic anterior 180° partial fundoplication: Our initial experience

S. Kumaresan
  • S. Kumaresan
  • Department of Surgery, Tuanku Jaafar Hospital, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.
  • Google Scholar
A. Sudirman
  • A. Sudirman
  • Department of Surgery, Tuanku Jaafar Hospital, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.
  • Google Scholar
G. Ramesh
  • G. Ramesh
  • Department of Surgery, Tuanku Jaafar Hospital, Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.
  • Google Scholar


  •  Accepted: 16 January 2010
  •  Published: 30 April 2010

Abstract

Gastroesophageal reflux disease is increasing in frequency in the Asia Pacific region, which can be attributed to increase in awareness among doctors and patients and/or true increase in the prevalence of this disease. Surgical treatment of GERD is well established in the West and in selected clinical situations, provides well recognized benefits over non-surgical treatment. In contrast, there are only a few published studies in Asia especially on the outcome of the laparoscopic anterior fundoplication within the Asian community. Our aim is to evaluate symptomatic outcome of laparoscopic anterior 180° fundoplication in our community. Prospective analyses of 25 consecutive patients were done using a standardized questionnaire post-operatively. Overall satisfaction and the symptoms of heartburn and dysphagia were assessed together with other adverse effects of the surgery. Follow up was carried at a median of 9 months after surgery. Symptoms of heartburn assessed using the VAS showed significant drop from mean 7.4 pre-operatively to mean 1.75 postoperatively. De Meester symptom score indicated that a majority (56%) of patients reported none/minimal GERD symptoms, the other 44% reported mild GERD symptoms. This showed a vast improvement compared to pre-operative scoring where 80% of the patients reported moderate to severe GERD symptoms. This directly correlates with the estimation of patient satisfaction using Visick grading system with 24 (96%) patients reported none or mild symptoms post operatively. Overall, it is reasonable to conclude that laparoscopic anterior partial fundoplication achieved a satisfactory rate of overall success in our centre at short term follow up.

Key words: Laparoscopic anterior fundoplication, GERD, symptomatic outcome.