International Journal of
Medicine and Medical Sciences

  • Abbreviation: Int. J. Med. Med. Sci.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 2006-9723
  • DOI: 10.5897/IJMMS
  • Start Year: 2009
  • Published Articles: 535

Table of Content: April 2010; 2(4)

April 2013

NBIC technology: The next step for research in Medical Sciences

Author(s): Professor Viroj Wiwanitkit

April 2010

Inflammatory response after laparoscopic versus open colonic resection: Review of the literature

Surgical trauma may lead to immune dysfunction as a result of the intense inflammatory response which arises in order to restore tissue function. The inflammatory response after surgical trauma is mediated by a number of substances which are produced at the site of wounded and manipulated tissues or at more distant places and they can act locally and systematically. These substances are TNF, Interleukins, Heat shock...

Author(s): Dimitrios Tsamis, George Theodoropoulos, V. Nikolaos Michalopoulos, Thalassini Delistathi, Nikolaos Nikiteas, Christos Tsigris and Emmanuel Leandros

April 2010

A seroepidemiological study of rift valley fever virus among slaughter houses' workers in Saudi Arabia

The aim of this study was to determine the activity of the Rift Valley Fever Virus (RVFV) in non-exposed regions in Saudi Arabia following the outbreak that had occurred in the southwestern region of Saudi Arabia in 2000 - 2001. An Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) was used to detect anti-RVFV IgG antibodies among subjects working in abattoirs or adjacent livestock holding yards as a high risk group and healthy...

Author(s): Esam I. Azhar, Tariq A. Madani, Moujahed Kao and Ghazi A. Jamjoom  

April 2010

Prevalence and antibiotic susceptibility pattern of methicillin-resistant and coagulase-negative staphylococci in a tertiary care hospital in India

The present study was carried out to investigate the prevalence of MRSA and MRCoNS and their rate of resistance to different antistaphylococcal antibiotics used broadly for treatment.Of the 235 isolates, 164 isolates (69.8%) were identified as Staphylococcus aureus and the remaining seventy one (30.2%) were coagulase negative staphylococcus (CoNS), the frequency of MRSA by oxacillin screen agar method,...

Author(s): Habeeb Khadri and Mohammad Alzohairy

April 2010

Protective role of gossypol against N-methyl-N’-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG) induced gastric carcinogenesis in experimental rats

Gossypol, C30H30O8, is a polyphenolic aldehyde compound derived from the cotton plant (genus Gossypium, family Malvaceae) that permeates cells and inhibits wide range of cell growth. It also disturbs a variety of cellular enzymes that are known to be involved in energy production. According to literature survey there is no study on the effect of gossypol on experimental gastric cancer. Here, we used...

Author(s): Gowri Rangasamy Gunassekaran, Renganathan Gayathri, Doraiappan Kalpana Deepa Priya, Sivalingam Murugan and Dhanapal Sakithsekaran  

April 2010

Symptomatic outcome following laparoscopic anterior 180° partial fundoplication: Our initial experience

Gastroesophageal reflux disease is increasing in frequency in the Asia Pacific region, which can be attributed to increase in awareness among doctors and patients and/or true increase in the prevalence of this disease. Surgical treatment of GERD is well established in the West and in selected clinical situations, provides well recognized benefits over non-surgical treatment. In contrast, there are only a few published...

Author(s): S. Kumaresan, A. Sudirman and G. Ramesh