African Journal of
Agricultural Research

  • Abbreviation: Afr. J. Agric. Res.
  • Language: English
  • ISSN: 1991-637X
  • DOI: 10.5897/AJAR
  • Start Year: 2006
  • Published Articles: 6849

Article in Press

Challenges and Opportunities of Soybean Production Technologies in Kondala District Oromia Western Ethiopia

Mulu Kaba

  •  Received: 12 July 2021
  •  Accepted: 23 September 2021
Soybean is an important legume crop which has high contents of protein, vitamins and minerals. The productivity of the soybean crop at national and particularly at study area was very low. To improve such low productivity, adoption of high yielding varieties with appropriate fertilizer application was very important. This study was tried to investigate the challenges of adoption status make variation among farmers on soybean production technology in the Kondala district. The study also investigated opportunities and challenges that hamper adoption of the soybean production technology. Two stages sampling procedure were used to select the sample households for the study. Four rural kebeles were selected from ten soybean producing kebeles and 185 households were selected using simple random sampling. Semi-structured interview schedule was developed, for collecting the essential quantitative data for the study. Both key informant interview and focus group discussions were used to generate qualitative data. In addition, secondary data were collected from relevant sources. Qualitative data narration was used to triangulate survey responses. The result of the descriptive statistics showed that the majority of farmers 57.3% were adopters and the remaining 42.7% were non adopters. Kendall's W-test was used to analyses the data. The overall finding of the study emphasized low price of output, insect pest destroy and high price of inputs were the most serious challenging to decrease adoption of improved soybean production package. Therefore, policy and development interventions should give emphasis to improvement wider adoption which increased the productivity and income of smallholder farmers.

Keywords: Challenges, Kendall's W, Kondala, Opportunity, Soybean, Technology.